Fiscal 2014-16 strategic plan
Mission statement: The City of Literature works to advance its mission of celebrating and supporting literature on a local, regional, national, and international level, connecting readers and writers through the power of story.
Programming Goal: Promote and offer the best in literary programming
- Grow the audience and explore programming improvements for the annual One Book Two Book Children’s Literature festival.
- Participate in World Book Day/World Book Night, which includes holding one of two annual Community Book Talk events.
- Hold annual Engle Day events, including the Paul Engle Glory of the Senses high school essay contest and the Paul Engle Prize.
- Grow the size and scope of the annual Iowa City Book Festival.
- Pursue other programming, including the Hawkeye Readers project, On the Fly, Little Free Libraries, etc.
Audience Goal: Build constituencies and make connections that further the mission of the City of Literature.
- Refresh the organization’s brand
- Establish a media relations plan.
- Enhance the organization (and director’s presence) in the local literary community.
- Explore innovative ways to connect to diverse communities.
- Increase the organization’s presence at national literary events.
- Maintain and enhance organization’s standing within the Creative Cities Network.
Resource Goal: Strengthen the capacity of the City of Literature to do its work.
- Maintain same level of commitment from foundational partners.
- Diversify revenue sources.
- Work to make City of Literature events self-sustaining
- Rationalize board commitment and refocus board engagement
- Pursue outside resources to augment current staffing